Layer mixer note filter help needed

Hi,

I’ve been trying to create a kit using a layer mixer with: note filter, midi to cv, shot sampler in it.

The note filter only seems to work on default at c2 though and even if I just select c2 again it doesnt work…

Am I doing something really stupid here?

Thanks!

Comments

• Works as expected here, no matter which layer I select.

• edited May 9

Thanks for the reply!

I finally figured out what the problem is. I don’t have much musical knowledge but when I click the drop down menu on note filter ‘from’ or ‘to’ the first thing that appears is ‘C-2’, I needed to scroll down to ‘C2’… now it works! (Or just found out I can hold and press)

I have never seen a note as low as ‘C-2’ on anything before so was confused.

All good now though!

By the way, is this the best way to make a kit with individual samples?

Thanks

• Great!

By the way, is this the best way to make a kit with individual samples?

Good question. It really depends on how you're going to use the samples.

Your approach is quite nice when you want all samples on the same track, choose drum instruments individually and maybe process each sample separately, e.g. using Peaking EQs etc.

Other options:

• Use the Sampler when you want instruments with up to 4 velocity layers (drums, percussion, acoustic instruments) or round robin sample selection
    • Use Flexi if you want loops or sliced samples. You can also have samples consisting of multiple drum hits for example, and choose the sample by slice number (note number)
    • Use an Instrument Rack containing any type of sampler(s) and switch samples of instruments by switching rack presets (better if you want simple next/previous arrows for quick sample selection)

Before deciding which way to go, keep in mind that you might want to use the multitrack sequencer for sequencing your samples and have one instrument per track only. Of course you can still put such a layer rack on the last track and route + MIDI merge all previous tracks into that last track. Placing notes on the multitrack sequencer would require you to hit C2 on track 1, C#2 on track 2, D2 on track 3 once so placing notes on different tracks will default to the correct note.

• Thanks so much for the detailed reply rs2000. Really appreciated.

It’s really helpful to have the differences laid out like that when there are so many options.

I knew about the flexi but not really about the other methods. I’ll have to explore and play around a bit. I mainly wanted to separate out my drums a bit but also have some groups of a few tracks to manipulate and keep track of but it seems there are all kinds of ways to do things.

I’ve just come from using the Dirtywave M8 quite a bit but was travelling and dodgy electricity fried it and as I had my ipad with me and Drambo, which I haven’t used much or in a couple of years but the 2.0 features for laying out a track look great so am trying to use this as an opportunity to learn it a bit more!